Escalators move millions of people in Singapore every day: at the MRT, in shopping malls, the airport, in office buildings and schools.
But do you know how they actually work?
In this demonstration, I will show you how to build a model that demonstrates the key components of the escalator.
I will show you how to put the components together step-by-step, finishing with a live demonstration of a working model, with steps moving in a continuous loop.
This demonstration will help you understand one of the most useful “people-moving” machines with come in contact with every day, and inspire you to develop your own ideas for better “people-movers”.
- The truss (or frame) supports the whole structure.
2. The rails guide the moving parts on a track.
3. The gears and chain drive the steps in their continuous loop.
4. The motor and switch provide the power.
5. The steps move up (or down) in a continuous loop.